This is one of my favorite summer dishes. As a kid I loved helping my mom making it in the kitchen. Growing up, I realized I wasn’t the only one who ate it. Jose’s mom made a similar salad as a kid too! Living in Arizona you are always looking for quick meals to make, that don’t heat the house up. So not only is this salad a great, quick and easy dinner, it also meal preps perfectly for weekly lunches!
1 Bag Cole Slaw Mix
1 Chicken Breast
1 Green Onion
1 C Slivered Almonds
1 Pack Chicken Ramen Noodles
1 Tbls Olive Oil
2 Tbls Vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. This is just for roasting your almonds, you can also just use them straight from the bag, but the roasted flavor ads something amazing to the dish.
2. Boil your chicken breast and cook thoroughly. You can always use this broth later just store it, once it cools down, in a mason jar and the next recipe calling for chicken stock you have 100% natural, organic, sodium free, gluten free (lol) broth on hand.
3. Roast the almonds, as your oven should be preheated by now. Begin chopping the green onion and mixing the cole slaw in a large mixing bowl.
4. Thoroughly cool chicken before dicing and adding to slaw and make sure to thoroughly cool almonds before adding to slaw. You do not want your cabbage getting warm it will lose its crunch immediately.
5. Time for the sauce! If you love ramen as much as I do you probably have packets on hand as staples. One you need is 1 Chicken Ramen packet. Using the spices packet whisk oil and vinegar until dissolved. You can use your choice of vinegar, balsamic is best, but we always have apple cider on hand for our daily morning cleanse drink.
6. Mix the dressing in with the slaw, chicken and almonds. Finally, crush the uncooked noodles for a crunchy topping and serve!
7. One salad bag serves 4-6 people, but store leftovers for lunches for the week. TIP! If you plan on meal prepping layer the containers starting with the dressing then slaw, then almonds, add chicken and onions, finally top with ramen so when you are ready to eat you just pour upside down and it is the perfect freshness!
Let me know what you think, and how it turned out!